They say the way to a person's heart is through their stomach, and we think there’s no better way to show your love than cooking your special someone, well, something special. If you’re planning to skip the restaurant scene this Valentine’s Day, treat your love one(s) to one of these decadent dishes by Saltbox Farm, Capers Catering and Blackstone Caterers. Not in the cooking mood? Be sure to check out the gourmet take-out menu for two curated by Forklift Catering.
Want to make your dining table extra romantic this holiday? We’ve got a variety of colored goblets, specialty napkins and more to create the ultimate swoon-worthy setting!
Sweet Potato Gnocchi
For the Ragu:
- Heat oven to 325°. Pat short ribs dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven over medium high heat, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil until just smoking. Working batches if needed, brown beef on all sides (2-3 minutes per side).
- When beef is browned, remove from pot and add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes until vegetables have brightened a bit. Fill a teabag with fennel and coriander.
- Add beef back to pot and deglaze with ½ cup wine, reducing by half. Cover ribs by half with water and add bay leaf, thyme, and rosemary. Cover and place into oven for 2.5-3 hours until meat is easily shredded with a fork.
- Remove beef from cooking liquid and allow it to cool for a few minutes before shredding. Meanwhile, bring cooking liquid to a boil and reduce by half with the remaining 1/2 cup of wine. Strain out any vegetables through a fine mesh strainer and add reduced liquid to shredded beef mixing well. Preheat oven to 350° degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment and place potatoes on pan. Bake potatoes until they are soft to the touch, about 2 hours. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Remove skins from potatoes and process through a food mill or ricer while still warm. Gently toss in nutmeg, salt, and flour until a dough forms. Keep your fingers wide and toss dough into dime-sized pieces (as you might for biscuits or pie dough). Then knead dough until it feels soft, but stable. If it feels very sticky, add additional flour a bit at a time (about 1/4 cup) to achieve a cohesive dough.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment and lightly flour. On a lightly floured countertop, cut off sections of the dough and roll out into a 1/2-inch thick log. Then cut 1/2-inch pieces from the log and place neatly on the baking sheet. Be careful not to crowd the gnocchi or they may stick together. If you are saving the gnocchi for another time, freeze on the baking sheets and place in a storage bag. Gnocchi will keep for up to 3 weeks.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and turn down to a simmer. Cook gnocchi in water for about 2-3 minutes, until gnocchi float. Carefully remove gnocchi from water and move to a pan with the beef ragu. Serve in bowls with shaved parmesan.
Dark Chocolate & Peanut Butter Fudge
18 oz 60% dark chocolate
*Can substitute peanut butter with 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Grilled Rack of Lamb with a Sweet Corn Custard, Haricot Vert and Blackberry Gastrique
For the Lamb:
For the Blackberry Gastrique:
Combine first 5 ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer until slightly thickened. 10 minutes or more. Mashing the blackberries into the sauce. Strain through sieve to remove seeds whisk the butter into sauce.
For the Sweet Corn Pudding:
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
4 eggs – (2 whole + 2 yolks)
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt (or more, depending on preference)
Add corn to cream and simmer for 5 minutes on stove. Cool mixture slightly and purée in blender with eggs and salt. Pour into buttered ramekins and bake in oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until center is slightly puffed. Let sit until room temperature and unmold puddings from ramekins.
Pre-Made Dinner for 2
Enjoy the elegance of a chef-prepared gourmet dinner from the comfort and safety of your home. Menus from Forklift Provisions are designed to be served at your convenience* with simple reheating and assembly instructions. Available in curated menus or a la carte, with rotating options for hors d’oeuvre, desserts, and drinks, sitting down to a meal is easier than ever!
VALENTINE'S DAY DINNER FOR 2
Duck Two Ways
Hazelnut Romesco Potatoes
Flourless Chocolate Cake
Lavender Shortbread Cookie Sandwiches with Strawberry Jam**
FOR THE FAMILY
Cozy up with the ones you love and enjoy homemade hot chocolate with Forklift’s Peppermint Marshmallows and Shortbread Cookie Sandwiches.
*Orders may be placed Thursday, February 4th - Monday, February 8th for pick-up or delivery Friday, February 12th or Saturday, February 13th.
**Add Shortbread Cookies to your Valentine’s Day Menu for 2 and get them for FREE with code VENDORLOVE